Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Peer Critique #1 - Michael Boren

Michael Boren

http://borencoding.blogspot.com/

Overall, I like your app.  It'll be fun and interactive.  Like I say below, the visual elements are very impressive and well designed and are definitely my favorite part.

Usability and Function

Strengths:

The app is for young kids and I can tell that you've designed it with that in mind. All the buttons are completely visual.  This will help kids that aren't able to read but can recognize colors and images.  

Questions and Suggestions: 

Why are the arrows and home page on the home page? It feels redundant and I can imagine someone getting confused with which button to push to get the book started.  I suggest removing them from the menu page.

How will the person know what language they are listening/looking at? Will a voice call out the language before it says the word in the other language?  Will there bet the language name beneath the flags?

Purpose

Strengths:

You mentioned that the purpose is just for the kiddies to listen and be able to repeat.  I feel like this will achieve your purpose.  

Questions and Suggestions: 

Have you thought about how you could teach cross-culture acceptance with this book?  You could tie in the idea that everyone has hands and can serve, hug, love, etc...

Flow

Strengths:

Very straightforward.  Advance arrows will bring you forward and back to each page in order.  No ability to skip pages.  I feel like this is advantageous for an eBook because skipping pages would make understanding the story complicated.

Questions and Suggestions: 

What will happen as you are hitting the arrows vs. hitting the hands? I know that we discussed how you will decide a very specific order that the app will prompt the kids to follow along, but will that get frustrating if the child would like to skip a step or explore more and use more time to see what is available on the page.  How have other storybook apps dealt with the flow of the book?  Let me know what you come up with!

Aesthetic

Strengths:

The visual elements are lovely.  I can tell you've spent a lot of time on these.  They are the strongest element of your app for sure.

Questions and Suggestions: 

Have you considered having the hands kind of reflect the colors/designs of the flags of the various countries?  It might be a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment