Week 6 (March 5-12) — Widgets
- Creating a button: http://youtu.be/8f6e3e7-gvA
- Creating a tab bar: http://youtu.be/1w1lK-l4tjs
- Creating a scroll view: http://youtu.be/FrS8P_cx9F8
- Creating a pop-up text box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwvXl6zgrs
To deliver:
- Create pop-up boxes for text
This week's summary:
What I learned:
I've always been a little bit confused about what widgets are and I think I'm beginning to understand. If I'm understanding right, it's something that tells the app to do some little command. I already created a scroll view, but now I've got to create a menu button! I also learned a little more about functions.If I'm understanding correctly, a function is set up to give the app a little bit of instructions. The function is given a name, and any time that the function's name is given, it uses the instructions to perform the function. Here is an illustration in a photo:
I'm still experimenting a little with what I can do with these babies, but I can see how understanding functions is key to creating apps.
Examples of code:
function m:makeDialogBox() local dialogBoxWithText = display.newGroup() local dialogBox = display.newRect( 0, 0, 200, 100) dialogBox:setStrokeColor (1,0,0) dialogBox.strokeWidth = 3 dialogBox:setFillColor(.85,.85,.85)local keyWord = display.newText("Test word", 20, 40, "Georgia", 22) local definition = display.newText("Test definition this is a definition that is really long", 30, 50, 150, 0, "Georgia", 22)
dialogBoxWithText:insert(dialogBox) dialogBoxWithText:insert(keyWord) dialogBoxWithText:insert(definition)
return dialogBoxWithText
end
Some great resources:
- http://docs.coronalabs.com/api/type/DisplayObject/removeSelf.html
- http://docs.coronalabs.com/api/type/GroupObject/remove.html
- https://docs.coronalabs.com/api/type/ButtonWidget/index.html
- https://docs.coronalabs.com/api/library/widget/newTabBar.html
- https://docs.coronalabs.com/api/type/TextBox/index.html
Questions/concerns/problems to come back to:
- How can I make the objects within the "create scene" phase accessable outside of that scene?
- How do I remove something that I've displayed?
Functioning code so far:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B406rJ0oHVzZbDc1WW1kNVJKbm8&usp=sharing

No comments:
Post a Comment